Our library has quite a large Professional Development / Teacher Reference section which has been bult up over many years by the school administration. Unfortunately, not many people use it, so we decided a marketing campaign was needed!
Steps decided on for our marketing strategy:
- make new directional signage to make sections easier for teachers to find
- create a display of PD/TR books
- email a list to teachers of recent new titles – including images of the cover and some brief information about each book
- offer a chance to win 2 free movie tickets to teachers who borrowed before the end of term
- advertise at staff morning teas
- daily email reminders during the last week of term
We decided on the theme “Treasure in the PD Library” and included a tresure chest in the display, along with a stand-up, cardboard cut-out of Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow. At staff morning tea we put advertising on the walls up the steps, placed Captain Jack at the door, then stood in the doorway handing out gold chocolate coins, as well as advertising for the PD library and the chance to win the movie tickets. We also advertised that teachers could include reading professional or curriculum material as part of the hours for their ccmpulsory PD hours (required for registration by the Qld College of Teachers).
While our advertisng campaign did not result in huge numbers of teachers descending on the PD library (maybe they had enough discount movie tickets already, or maybe they were overwhelmed at the time with marking and reports), we did get quite a few teachers borrowing. Overall, it certainly made for a memorable experience and was lots of fun!