The reason Web 2.0 is called the ‘read-write web’ is the ability that people now have to easily add content back to the web and collaborate with others around the world. A wiki is one example of this: “it is a website where anyone can edit anything any time they want.” (Will Richardson) Of course the most notable example is Wikipedia, a massive database of knowledge added to and edited by people in all countries of the world.

There are many different sites where you can create free wikis for use in schools, but I have found Wikispaces very easy to use, and the support team there is very helpful. If you would like to set up a free wiki with Wikispaces, they have just given away their 100,000th free K-12 wiki, and they have 250,000 more free ones to give away. This means you don’t get any ads in your wiki, even though you haven’t paid for it. Click on the link below to read more:

These are a couple of wikis that I have created for my classes. The first is a reading/book wiki for my Yr 8 students, and the second is one I use with the Yr 6 students when we are looking at hoax websites and the credibility of Wikipedia.

Redlands College RIB-IT wiki

Hoax Antarctic wiki

If you would like to see how other people are using wikis in educaion, have a look at these sites:

Library2.5 at NECC

Teacher Librarian wiki

Will Richardson’s wiki

Vicki Davis, Westwood wiki

Flat Classroom Project 2008

Horizon Project 2008

Digital Citizenship in Education

Educational wikis

Holocaust Wiki Project